Move-Out Information for Students & Families

Just like the move-in process, we want to make your move-out process as smooth as possible. In most cases, you must be completely moved out of your room and complete the checkout process prior to noon on the final day of your housing contract. Late stay options may be available at an extra cost and must be approved. Check your Purdue email and direct questions to your hall front desk or resident assistant (RA).

Effective May 2, 2022, if your assigned hall's main office is closed please use the following location for business/check out needs:

  • Cary covers for Cary, Hilltop, Owen and Tarkington
  • Frieda Parker covers for Frieda Parker, Winifred Parker, Honors, Windsor and Wiley
  • Meredith South covers for Meredith South, Meredith, Earhart and First Street
  • Hillenbrand covers for Hillenbrand, Shreve, Harrison and McCutcheon
  • Purdue Village covers for Purdue Village and URBA locations
  • Hawkins covers for Hawkins

Need to stay after May 8, 2022?

If you need to stay after Sunday, May 8, 2022, at noon, but no later than Monday, May 16, 2022, at noon:

  • Visit the housing portal and complete the late stay form (available early to mid April).
  • You will be assessed a $32/day room only charge for staying late if you live in a traditional residence hall and do not qualify for a pre-approved late stay group where late stay fees are waived.
  • When departing from your late stay you must complete the steps for Departing for Summer Break, listed immediately below.

Departing for Summer Break

  • Plan to move out prior to Sunday, May 8, 2022, at noon. Anyone needing to stay later than May 8 should apply for late-stay approval, by completing the late stay request form (available early to mid April).
  • Complete the Express Check Out Form:
    • Pick up the "express check out envelope" at your hall's main office.
    • Drop the completed "express check out envelope," with the key inside, off at your assigned hall's drop-off location after removing your belongings and cleaning your room.
    • The room must be in the same condition it was when resident moved in.
    • Lost key (not turned in at check out): $50 per lost key to replace the lock.
    • Residents will be billed for any damages that have occurred as determined by the university residences team inspection or assessed to the hall community.

Improper Checkout/Items Left Behind

Please note, you may be charged $32/day room only and/or a $50 improper check-out fee for:

  • failing to properly move out/check out when departing.
  • failing to designate an escort to assist with retrieving your belongings.
  • failing to properly or timely remove all belongings. 



I need to stay after May 8, how much does it cost and what do I do?
Students needing to stay after May 8, but no later than May 16 at noon should complete the housing late stay form (available early to mid April) located on the housing portal. Students will be charged $32/day room only charge for each night they stay beyond noon, May 8.
I need to stay longer than May 16, how much does it cost and what do I do?

Any student needing to stay after May 16 at noon should plan to complete the summer school housing application located on the housing portal. You will be charged a minimum of $250 for a double room with the 13 track meal plan. This fee is not prorated.

Note: This extension may require you to relocate.

Will I lose any unused Dining Dollars?
Dining Dollars will expire at the end of the academic year.
How will I get my mail?
Be sure to change your forwarding address in MyPurdue. First Class mail will be forwarded.
I forgot to complete the express check out envelope and turn my key in when I left for break, what do I do?
Please contact the main office of your assigned residence hall as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that main office hours may be restricted due to reduced staff. If you are unable to reach anyone at the main office of the hall you are assigned, please email the hall at the hall email account. Make arrangements with the main office to return your key if possible. You may be assessed a $50 improper check-out fee and if you are unable to return your key in a timely manner you may be assessed $50 for a lock change.