Frequently Asked Questions...

About University Residences

University Residences Housing Contract Process

View list of New Resident Contract frequently asked questions on the New Resident Contract website.

Who can live in University Residences?

Students who are registered for classes at the Purdue West Lafayette Campus and will be at least 16 years old at the start of the contract may live in University Residences.  Students who will not be 16 by that time may live in Purdue Village family apartments if they will be living with a parent or adult legal guardian.

What should I bring?

View Moving In Information.

Can I have a futon or fridge in my room?

University Residences partners with Bedloft as an outside vendor for futons and microfridges that meet our safety and capacity requirements for these items. To find out more about their offerings, or to order your items, please visit

What are the requirements for appliances in my room?

Small electrical appliances, such as coffee makers and popcorn poppers, are allowed in student rooms as long as the heating element is completely enclosed. For other appliances, such as microwaves and refrigerators, please read University Residences Guidelines » Room/Apartment » Appliances and Room Modifications.

Are University Residences co-ed?

For traditional undergraduate students, University Residences has two women’s halls, two men’s halls and twelve co-ed residences with students in separate living areas.

When do the halls open and close for the year?

For the 2018-19 Academic Year, early check-in (for an additional fee) begins Monday, August 13. Housing contracts begin on Friday, August 17. The halls close on the Monday after finals. Check your contract for other information and exact dates.

When can I move in?

Your housing contract begins Friday, August 17, 2018. For an additional fee, early check-in begins Monday, August 13, 2018. Check contract for exact dates.

When do classes begin?

Fall semester classes begin on Monday, August 20, 2018.

Can I move my belongings into my room before I am ready to move in?

Early arrival begins at 9:00 a.m., Monday, August 13, 2018 and continues through Thursday, August 16, 2018 (an additional fee will be charged). Meals during early arrival will be available beginning Monday, August 13, 2018 for an additional cost. Read more about Moving In.

What are the guest hours for University Residences?

First Street Towers, Hawkins Hall, Hillenbrand Hall, Hilltop Apartments, Third Street Suites and UR Boiler Apartments have 24-hour visitation, 7 days per week. In all other undergraduate residences, including any temporary assignment space for beginning students, guests are permitted during the following visitation hours:

  • Sunday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. the following day
  • Friday 8:00 a.m. through Monday 2:00 a.m.: 24-hour guest hours

Weekend hours will be in effect for the following holidays:  Labor Day, October Break and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  Individual residences may modify guest hours to be more restrictive than outlined above for special situations, programs or to assist with stated club preference, such as during finals week.  Under all circumstances and at all times, the privacy of your roommate will take priority over a guest.

Do I have to live in University Residences?

No one is required to live in University housing at any time- unless the student has signed a housing contract to live in University Residences during the contract term. Students who are not attending Purdue University during the contract term will be released from their signed housing contract.

Can I connect to the Internet from my room?

All residences will have ResNet service provided at no additional charge. Find out more about Your Computer & ResNet.

Are lofts allowed and where can I obtain a loft?

View Loft Guidelines and Options

Can I change pay plans at a later time if I need to?

Payment plans are established by the University and administered by the Bursar's Office. Any questions regarding payment plans should be addressed to the Bursar's Office.

Can I have a car on campus? Is parking available?

Please view information regarding Parking for residents of University Residences.

How safe are the University Residences?

University Residences strive to provide a safe environment. However, as with any community with a large number of people, it’s best to take precautions such as locking doors and making sure your personal items are covered by your parent’s homeowner’s insurance policy.

Can I leave things in my room over breaks?

Yes, leaving belongings in your room is allowed for all breaks except summer.

Can I stay in my room over breaks?

Residents are not allowed to stay in the halls over winter or summer breaks. The halls are open for residents to stay in for all other breaks. Exception: Eight undergraduate residences are open to their residents only for winter break, with room only provision. No meal plan service will be provided. These residences include Cary Quadrangle, First Street Towers, Hawkins Hall, Hillenbrand Hall, Hilltop Apartments, Third Street Suites, Purdue Village Undergraduate and UR Boiler Apartments. (Purdue Village Family and Single Graduate Housing will continue their normal operations.)

Are there curfews in University Residences?

No, there are no curfews. Doors lock at 11:00 p.m. and residents must either swipe in with their Purdue ID card or go through a main entrance to gain access, but residents are not required to be in their rooms at any time.

Can I smoke in my room?

No. All University Residences are non-smoking. Please note E-cigarettes or any other device used to vaporize or atomize a nicotine based or non-nicotine based liquid solution to the smoking materials are not permitted in University Residences.

Where can I do laundry?

There is a laundry room in every residence hall. All washers and dryers in traditional University Residences are front-load high-efficiency machines that maximize load size and conserve water and energy use. With the exception of Hilltop Apartments and Purdue Village, the washers and dryers in University Residences only accept BoilerExpress which is a debit card feature built into the PUID card. Students may add funds to their Boiler Express account at the Purdue ID Card Office, at University Residences main office at Smalley Center, the Purdue Village Community Center or via the Purdue ID Card Office online feature. Coins will no longer be required, except where noted below. A Wash Alert feature enables students to check availability of laundry machines via computer or any web-enabled smart phone.The charges to wash and dry your clothes are as follows:

All University Residences (except Hilltop Apartments, Purdue Village and First Street Towers)
$1.50 per new front-load high-efficiency washer (payment by Boiler Express only)
$1.25 for 60 minutes of dry time and .25 per additional 15 minutes (payment by Boiler Express only)
Hilltop and Purdue Village (1BR) Residents Only
$1.25 per wash in coin-operated front-load washer
$1.00 per 60 minutes of dry time and .25 per additional 15 minutes
First Street Towers Residents Only
Wash/Dry in front-load high-efficiency machines included in the room rate

For more information regarding BoilerExpress, please visit the Purdue ID Card Office.

What is the standard residence mattress size and are bed linens provided?

The standard residence mattress size is 36” x 78”. Bed linens are not provided.

Do I need to clean my room?

Your room is your responsibility. You are not required to clean your room except before check-out at the end of the academic year. Mops, brooms, and vacuum cleaners are available at each residence. We encourage students to clean their rooms on a regular basis.

Is there anywhere I can cook?

Most residences have kitchenettes available for residents to do limited amounts of cooking.

Can I get a single room?

The number of single rooms is very limited, and students currently living in University Residences have first priority for assignment to these rooms. New students will have the opportunity to preference a single room type at the time they rank their room type preferences on their housing contract.

What can I do if I have roommate problems?

University Residences encourages open communication between residents. If talking it out between the two of you doesn’t work, your floor resident assistant is an excellent resource for assistance.

Who can I contact if I have a specific question regarding my room and/or roommate?

Please contact the main office of the residence where you are currently assigned for questions regarding your room and/or roommates. Their telephone number and email address are located on each hall's home page under Housing Choices.

Are pets allowed?

No pets are allowed in undergraduate University Residences except fish.

Is there a campus bus service?

Yes. Purdue University students may ride CityBus by showing their PUID. 

Is there a campus safety escort program?

Yes.  The Purdue Student Security Patrol is a group of specially selected and trained students who offer evening safe walks to students and staff and also provide extra observation in parking garages and other areas of Purdue’s campus.  Safe walk escorts are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling (765) 494-SAFE (7233).  This information is readily available on the back of your Purdue ID.

Where can I go if I am ill?

Purdue has a Purdue Student Health Center. There are also two hospitals in Lafayette.

What kind of TV cable is in my room?

Purdue provides cable TV to each room at no additional charge. It includes our own BTV which shows movies and also announcement of campus happenings. Access the BTV Movie schedule Online.

Which residences have air-conditioning and which residences can provide an air-conditioned room for students who have a medical need for an air-conditioned space?
Residences That Are Air-Conditioned:
  • Cary Quadrangle (all units except Southeast and Southwest)
  • Earhart Hall
  • First Street Towers
  • Harrison Hall
  • Hawkins Hall
  • Hillenbrand Hall
  • Hilltop Apartments (select apartments)
  • Honors College & Residences
  • McCutcheon Hall
  • Shreve Hall
  • Third Street Suites
  • Windsor Halls
Residences That Can Provide An Air-Conditioned Room for Students Who Have a Medical Need for An Air-Conditioned Space:
  • Hilltop Apartments (non air-conditioned apartments - students must pay an installation fee of $40 to have their own air-conditioning unit installed by Hilltop staff)
Do I need to purchase property insurance?

The university does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damage to property, or injuries on the premises. If you are not covered under your parent/guardian's homeowner's insurance policy, we strongly recommend you make arrangements for insurance protection against such losses.